Caring for an aging loved one is hard. When the end does come, there can be an overwhelming list of things to do. With Pillar, you can get ahead of that by proactively planning. Take things one day at a time so you can be less stressed in the future and focus more on the real things that matter – the person you love.
We've created an easy to follow checklist below with everything you'll need to prepare an end of life plan for a loved one. We'll be updating this guide overtime with specific documents and resources you can use to make things even easier. As you plan with Pillar, you can also create and store all your important information online and share access with your family.
End of Life Checklist: Documents You Should Have
There are a variety of options to choose from when preparing for the end of a loved one's life. here are some of the most important elements to consider:
1. Health Care Proxy: This is a document that lets you designate the person you want to make medical decisions for you in case you're not able to do so on your own. This could be in case of a medical emergency (you're unconscious), or due to things like dementia, alzheimers, or other mental impairments2
2. Living Will: This document (which is also referred to as an Advance Directive in some areas) lets your family and doctors know what kind of medical treatments you do or do not want. This includes things like the use of CPR, breathing tubes, nutrition / hydration, and other common interventions.
3. A Will: This is a document you write in order to give your assets, money, or property to people or organizations you care about. This should include a list of where all your assets are kept
4. Power of Attorney for Finances: This is a person you designate to make financial decisions for you and your estate if you are no longer able to
5. Memorial Plan: This document lists out how you want to be remembered. You might want people to donate to a charity. Maybe you want a tree planted in your honor. You can decide on all these things in advance.
Pillar Life is here to help and provide guidance on anything you might need when it comes to taking care of your aging loved ones. Get in touch with us 24/7 at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're here to help!